TETSUHIRO DAIKU, KOICHI KAMIYA, SEIBUN TOKUHARA, KEIKO KINJO
Utazuna - Ryukyu-ko o Okan Suru Utai Tachi (2 CDs)
Songs that crossed the Ryukyu archipelego down the centuries, performed by four of the greatest living musicians. One of the most important Okinawan traditional albums of recent years.
1. Tetsuhiro Daiku, Koichi Kamiya / Kabira Bushi 2. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Aka Mata 3. Koichi Kamiya / Minato Kuri Bushi 4. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Hatoma Bushi 5. Seibun Tokuhara / Hatoma Bushi 6. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Yugafu Bushi 7. Keiko Kinjo / Sa sa Bushi 8. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Medetai Bushi 9. Koichi Kamiya / Medetai Bushi 10. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Tsuru Kame Bushi 11. Koichi Kamiya / Tsuru Kame Bushi 12. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Mazakai Bushi 13. Seibun Tokuhara / Dakidon Bushi 14. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Suibarana Bushi 15. Seibun Tokuhara / Nandaki Bushi16. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Hunakuyaa Bushi 17. Koichi Kamiya / Iwai Bushi 18. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Shi Shya ma 19. Keiko Kinjo / Mimura Wudui 20. Tetsuhiro Daiku, Koichi Kamiya / Dai sa Naja - Ota-ya Bushi
1. Tetsuhiro Daiku, Seibun Tokuhara / Umi no Chinbora Subinoza 2. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Hatoma Bushi 3. Koichi Kamiya / Hatoma Bushi 4. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Kuinu Hana 5. Seibun Tokuhara / Azataka Niku 6. Keiko Kinjo / Koi nu Hana 7. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Nakarata Bushi 8. Seibun Tokuhara / Nakarata Bushi 9. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Kui Gama Bushi 10. Koichi Kamiya / Uyanu Magokuro 11. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Agarooza 12. Seibun Tokuhara / Komori Uta 13. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Zen'nu Watari 14. Keiko Kinjo / Asobi Shonkane 15. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Marushima Bonsan 16. Seibun Tokuhara / Tanu Muzo 17. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Mun Guru Kubagasa 18. Keiko Kinjo / Paradise Uruma Shima 19. Tetsuhiro Daiku / Miroku Bushi 20. Keiko Kinjo / Akatasundunchi 21. Tetsuhiro Daiku, Koichi Kamiya, Seibun Tokuhara, Keiko Kinjo / Kaisare - Shiyura
ANNA SATO X TOSHIYUKI SASAKI
Anna Sato was born on Amami island, in Japan's deep south. She began learning from her grandfather aged three, and relocated to Tokyo to pursue a music career. She has achieved some success overseas, particularly through collaborating with choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui and his dance production ICON as an arranger and singer. She also has performed with drummer Toshiyuki Sasaki at the Recontres de Chantes Polyphoniques festival in Corsica. Mix of Amami traditional songs with jazz, hip hop and other interesting rhythms. Also contains her theme to the NHK drama Segodon. You can watch a brief video of their concert in Corsica.
1. Itokuri 2. Sangen 3. Rankanbashi 4. Honenbushi 5. Ito 6. Chu Kumo 7. Taiyonu Ochite-Imagure 8. Watashya 9. Ikunya Kana 10. Okuri Bushi 11. Shiomichi Nagahama 12. Segodon - Opening Theme
MIWA YONASHIRO & SEIGO MATSUNAGA
Myahk Song Book 'Longing'
Album of duo of Miyako island singer Miwa Yoshashiro and double bass player Seigo Matsunaga. Miwa is one of the leading female voices on Miyako island, having released her first album in 2014. Seigo Matsunaga is from Fukuoka, who since 2009 has resided at his grandmother's 140 year old house that he called Shikiori, that he has turned into a concert venue, amidst lush rice fields.
1. Nariyama Ayagu 2. Hakuchonu Agu- Tarama Shunkane
New album from Miyako island singer, and the second installment of the Myahk Song Book. Ancient Miyako island melodies sung without accompaniment in a haunting, beautiful style. Produced by Seigo Matsunaga.
Ukulele Sakura Songs
Kenji Yano is known for his brilliant Okinawan albums under various pseudonyms, such as Surf Champlers and Sarabandge, producing other Okinawan artists and playing Okinawan and other music on ukulele and steel guitar. His latest ukulele album is of covers of J-pop songs with a Spring theme.
1. Sakura (Dokushou) 2. Sakurazaka 3. Sakura 4. Cherry 5. Hanataba Wo Kimi Ni 6. Yell 7. Tegami-haikei Juugo No Kimi He 8. Tsubomi 9. Senbon Sakura 10. Sakura 11. Haru Yo koi 12. Hana wa Saku 13. Sangatsu Kokonoka 14. Sakurairo Mau Koro 15. Sakura
LISTEN TO ALBUM DIGEST
Chimu Churasa - Connect with People (2 CDs)
Fourth album from the prolific Kanako Horiuchi, who apart from releasing her solo albums is involved in Churashima Navigator, Ska Lovers, and plays with the legendary singer Misako Oshiro. This 2 CD set is of both new original and traditional Okinawan tunes and features an array of other musicians from traditional musicians such as Sueyoshi Matsuda and Misako Oshiro to local bands Kachimba 4, Churashima Navigator, Baced on Kyoto, Sava, Maltese Rock and Malian guitarist Mamadou Doumbia.
1. To Be Born 2. Amazing Grace 3. Chura Fukunoki no Hayashi Kara 4. Osharena Tsuruko 5. Memories Melodies - Ano Shima Ano Haru 6. Otsue Ryokoku - Sumo Jinku-fu/ Mandan Koten 7. Hiyamikachi-bushi 8. Kunigami Sabakui 9. Nudiashibana 10. Hana Umui
1. Koinu Hana 2. Meotobune 3. Kadekunuen 4. Namida no Nahaminato 5. Yakabushi 6.Danjiyukariyushi 7. Futami Jowa 8. San Gatsu Ane 9. Osame no Uta
Life is Treasure
Sometimes a musician isn't appreciated enough in the here and now. Only in retrospect some 20 years or so later is a body of work seen as being for what it is; seminal, important, paving the way for others. I wonder if Kanako Horiuchi might fit into this category, if for nothing else than for drifting seamlessly between traditional music, club, ska, Thai and African music to name just some of the albums and collaborations she's been involved in. It never feels she is just a guest, or has been shoehorned into a project, but an integral part. Mixing club and Okinawan music is nothing new. But this albums manages to sound just that. Credit must go to DJ Sinkichi and DJ-Nuh-Doh. DJ Sinkichi is no no new kid on the block, having cut his teeth with members of Boredoms going back to the 1990s, and being involved in a multitude of projects from the jam band Dachambo and working with JAKAM and the Counterpoint label. DJ Nu-Doh is another veteran of the club scene in Japan and Okinawa with a host of credits to his name such as working with another of our favourites, Juza aka Moochy and his label Proception. A variety of sounds, moods and styles make this an exceptional album.
1. Hanaumui (Psychedelic Nice Age Mix) 2. Haimuru Bushi 3. Jidai no Nagare (2017 Mix) 4. Kajadeifu Bushi (Robbery Blues Mix) 5. Kashimasa Bushi (Pray Mix) 6. Torisashimai 7. Salt-N-Pa-Pa (Harii Mix) 8. Mo'ashibi
Music from Okinawa 2018
Compilation of contemporary Okinawan music, from roots to rock, salsa to shima uta, hip-hop to pop. The diverse range of music from today's Okinawa.
1. Nenes / Kunjyan Sabakui 2.Churashima Navigator / Haimurubushi 3. Maltese Rock / Ishin-Denshin 4. Gintendan / Aeon Fx 5.The Sakishhima Meeting (Yukito Ara × Isamu Shimoji) / Momoyo 6. Naoko Hentona / Kariyushi 7.Makiko Miyara / Umarijima Hanari 8. Element of the Moment / A Girl in Blue 9.Home Party People / Crane 10.Kachimba 4 / More Ashibi 11. WA Rubbers / Misan yu 12.The You / The Wrong Map 13.Hanako Kimura / Zoku Utukushii Hito 14.Fumitomo Yagi / Hainumikaji 15. Chihiro Kamiya / Kanashii gwa 16.Ritto &Olive Oil / Kazedathwa
WATCH ALBUM TRAILER
Seigwa Yaibin - Koza Terurin Sai Live
Seijn Noborikawa (1932-2013) was possibly the last of his generation of great Okinawan musicians to pass away. This is his last 'street live' recording, a collection of recordings between 2009-11 from the Terurin festival in Koza, dedicated to the memory of another great, Rinsuke Teruya.
1. Hatomabushi - Nakasakuda 2. Nakuni - Yanbaruteimato 3. Yuntaku 4. Shin Yume no Okinawa 5. Nakuni - Hantabaru 6. Ishikawa Kazoe Uta 7. Yuntaku 8. Yatchagwa - Kaisare 9. Tobarama -Rokucho Bushi
People who bought this item also bought:
Okinawa Americana are Okinawan singer and sanshin player Merry Gushi and American blues / rock singer and guitarist David Ralston. This is an album that does what it says on the tin, with a mix of Okinawan songs and original American blues/country/rock, with lyrics in both English and Okinawan. It was recorded in a variety of studios in Okinawa and America with an array of backing musicians, mostly American. For me personally, the American rock side is a bit overbearing, with too many cheesy lyrics espousing life in Okinawa. A little more variety in the rhythm would be nice instead of a constant drum kit. However, this is a fun album, and a lot of fun was had making it by the sound of it, and it's that atmosphere that shines through. putting a smile on the face of the listener not to mention some serious foot tapping. It's full of catchy songs and there's a real quality about the musicianship. Merry's contributions elevate the album to make it really something quite special. Just don't expect anything too deep.
1. Aha Bushi 2. Nankuru Naisa 3. Wide Bushi 4. Red Wine and Moonshine 5. Mimura Odori 6. Don't Cry 7. Hiyamikachi Bushi 8. Okinawa is My Home 9. Redemption Song 10. Mumuqua Fu
Shima Omoi - Juban Shobu
Celebrating 60 years as a musician, new album from Misako Oshiro in various collaborations featuring among others Kazufumi Miyazawa, Nenez, Sadao China, Isamu Asato. Includes remix version by Churashima Navigator of one of her most famous tunes, Kata Omoi, and a 1962 version as the bonus track. Watch a video of her performing Kato Omoi in 2016.
1. Misako Oshiro, Taku Oshiro / Ura Zasho 2. Misako Oshiro, Nenez / Kendou Bushi 3. Misako Oshiro, Kazufumi Miyazawa / Deigo no Hana 4. Misako Oshiro, Emiko Miyazato / Chibumi 5. Misako Oshiro, Sadao China / Yahin Mari 6. Misako Oshiro, Asaki Kiyuna / Gunjin Bushi, Kumamoto Bushi 7. Misako Oshiro, Churashima Navigator / Kata Omoi (Remix) 8.Misako Oshiro, Isamu Asato / Kanusyamayo 9. Misako Oshiro, Shuken Maekawa / Jou no Uta 10. Misako Oshiro, Seibun Tokuhara / Akitonaden Suna Bushi 11. Misako Oshiro / Kata Omoi (1962 version bonus track)
Uchina Love Song
Six female musicians sing Okinawan love songs. The six singers all perform three tracks each, and all come together to perform a nine minute version of Nakuni-Kaisare on an extra CD 2. All but one of the six, Megumi Aragaki, was born and grew up in Okinawa. The others, all extremely accomplished in Okinawan traditional music, come from a variety of interesting backgrounds. Kanako Horiuchi is originally from Hokkaido and moved to Okinawa to study traditional music, Lucy Nagamine grew up in Peru, Kaori Yamashiro is from Iyeha Jima but grew up in Osaka, while Mina, is Swiss/Japanese and lives in London. The songs are all meant to give the woman's side to a love song (yet are all written by men!) and are often about unrequited love and other tragic situations. Among these, Lucy sings Kataumui, most often associated with Misako Oshiro, Megumi Aragaki sings Shirakumu Bushi and Shirase Haikawa Bushi, Kanako Horiuchi has versions of Yotakara Bushi and Shimochidori while Mina sings Musume Jintoyo and Ashibi Shongane.
Songs and Prayers from the Izaiho Ritual, Kudaka Island
Ancient rituals from the Okinawan island of Kudaka. It is believed that the first ancestors of Okinawa settled on Kudaka and it is known as the 'Island of the God'. This CD, originally recorded in 1978 features the Izaiho ritual in which women between the ages of 30 and 41 make the symbolic transition from young women into celestial beings. This ritual only takes place once every twelve years. Izaiho was cancelled in 1990 and every twelve years since due to the declining number of women born and living on the island, and a female Noro shaman to perform the ritual. This is therefore likely to be the last time this ritual was ever performed and is an important document as well as an intoxicating listen.
1. Asanmai 2. Nirahana Worship 3. Tinyuta Praying at Uputishiji 4. Yukunegamiashibi 5. Hashirarariashibi 6. Arikuya 7. Dialogue Between Shizu Nishime and Yasuo Higa 8. Nariki 9. Gukimai 10. Speech of the District Mayor
People who bought this item also bought:
Amami no Uta Asobi- Rikki no Kuro Usagi Haneta
First album from the wonderful Amami island singer, Rikki, for 12 years. Kuro Usagi Haneta is a children's picture book written by Tetsuhiro Koda, published in 2011 and set on Amami Oshima island. The book is based on Amami's nature, culture and customs, and the songs on this album similarly convey the charms of Amami island. Composed by Hiroaki Sugawara and Ichiro Takamoto. Rikki's vocals are accompanied by Sugawara's various guitars, percussion and keyboards plus piano, shamisen, violin and accordion. Utterly charming.
1. Kuro Usagi Haneta 2. Kenmun 3. Satangabu 4. Harebare 5. Sango no Umi no Naka Matachi 6. Takagura Tateta 7. Rurikakesu no Uta 8. Ichimura San 9. Komori Uta 10. Kanashiki Mongoose 11. Neriyakanaya 12. Tategami sama 13. Rurikakesu no Uta (instrumental)
LISTEN TO ALBUM DIGEST
People who bought this item also bought: